Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Just a little bit about me and this blog

Hi Everyone

This is my first real blog.  I come to the blog world basically kicking, screaming and dragging my feet.  I started to spout off on Facebook about one silly thing or another and my friends on Facebook seemed to really like all the crap that was tossing up on my wall.  I honestly have never seen the appeal to anything I have ever written but I guess there must be something to a few words here and there.

Anyway, this blog is where I find myself today, writing this Blog.  I ask myself what does one write in a blog?  Are there subjects that you choose?  Not really sure about this whole blog thing but I will give it a good old try.

I promised to tell you a little about me first before I begin this little blog.  I am just an average everyday person.  I am married and not for the first time.  I am on my second marriage.  I am pretty sure that is about normal for these days and times.  My second husband and I have a solid marriage and decent life.  I actually like him and am pretty sure he likes me.  I have a one grown up daughter from my first marriage that my second husband helped me raise.  She has turned out just fine.

I became a nurse early on in my life and I found it to be a very satisfying career.  I started out working in Labor and Delivery.  Bringing new life into the world was wonderful for a while, then it got boring.  I learned early on that the baby would eventually come out.  One way or another....The baby would deliver.  It always did.  So, I ended up in the Operating Room and I found the best place for this nurse to be.

Enough about me, lets start this blog.

So...I will start with a story   Just like I have started on almost every Facebook post.  My first day as a Labor and Delivery Nurse was an experience.   I was pretty young and really long hair that I loved to wear all flowing and styled.  I was excited to be wearing those Hospital pink scrubs that they used to make Labor Nurses wear back in the day.  I thought I was a smoking hot nurse.  Not.

Since I knew nothing about being a Labor Nurse and it seemed that everyone one in the Hospital I was employed at was having a baby on my current shift my training turned into baptism by fire.  We were laboring women in the halls on gurneys, in chairs and in Labor rooms.   I am sure, if we could have had bunk beds in the rooms, we would have done that as well.  It was, if the babies were popping out the ceiling.  I was more than overwhelmed.

The charge Nurse had instructed me to go out to the front lobby and fetch a first time mother and bring her back to the Labor unit.  Apparently she was making all sorts of noise out there and scaring the rest of the visitors.  Being the dutiful and every chipper young Nurse, I found me a wheelchair and scampered on out there.

What I found in the lobby was a young Hispanic woman wearing clothing that appeared to be made in Mexico.  I only say that because her T-Shirt said "Made in Mexico" on it.  I promise.  It really said that on it.  Well, it said, "Hecho in Mexico" or something like that.  I only remember this because I had never seen anything like it before and thought it was very cleaver.  However, she was screaming at the top of her lungs in Spanish, " I can't do this.!!"  "No!!""NO!!"  "I Can't!" Basically, things like that.

  At the time I had taken two years of Spanish in High School and never thought about Spanish again.  All the sudden I became fluent.  Suddenly I was speaking Spanish.   I didn't even realize I was speaking Spanish but I was.  I told this woman to sit in the wheelchair.  Which she couldn't.  She kinda leaned back in the chair with her pelvis and pregnant belly sticking out.

I raced her back to Labor and Delivery as fast as I could with her family of 20 or so members trailing after me.  We go flying into the unit.  Me and my parade of one screaming laboring pregnant woman and her family of 20.  There are screaming women in the halls in chairs and on gurneys and in every labor room.  It just so happens that one Labor room was open and clean.

I race her in the Labor room and tell her to get in the bed.  She tells me there is no way she can get in the bed.  Her family has surrounded us and they are all screaming for her to get in the bed.  I am doing my best to separate her from the wheelchair and move the chair out of the way.

As I am trying to move the chair and get her in bed, she was bending over and taking her pants off.  Just has she is bent over, I begin to dive because I know what is coming at me.  I hit the ground and just as I do, she spits the baby into my hands.  There is amniotic fluid, blood and you name it all in my hair, face and scrubs.  The baby is half in and half out and screaming.  The mom looks back at me and she asks me, if the baby is a boy or a girl?  I say, I don't know.  The rest of its hasn't been born yet.  Push a little more.  She does and it's a boy.  The family erupts in cheers.  The mom is all smiles.  I am smiling even though I am a mess.

By this time, the rest of the nursing staff gets to the room to find out what the rucus is and they help get mom and baby to the bed and cleaned up.   The family and everyone is fine and overjoyed.  I am not so fine.  I need a shower and clean scrubs.  My hair needs to be shampooed and combed out over and over.  I never wear my hair down at work again.  Ever.  I mean ever.

Its funny to think this baby is probably all grown up now with children of his own and what version of the story his family tells him of the crazy nurse who dove into home to deliver him.  I guess I will never know. I am glad I was there for him and his mom.  I was not glad to be drowned in bodily fluids and delivery a baby without gloves but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.


1 comment: