Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A conversation with an Evangelistic Christian

I had this conversation recently with an evangelistic christian.  He is a born again christian person and very much against gay marriage.  He is also against any faith that is not of his own or the version of bible that he reads and believes is the true word of God.

This person has insinuated that those who do not follow exactly what the word of God said in his version of the bible then you were a sinner.  I had to disagree with him.  Not that I do not think that most of us run around in a constant state of sin but, really?  We are human beings after all and isn't that the point of being human?  Learning to become better person, more loving and hopefully go to heaven when we die.

He told me that my daughter was a sinner because she chose to be a homosexual and I was a sinner for questioning the validity of the current written word of God.  He said that in the bible it says that, "God said".  I told him that really means nothing.  That anyone could have written "God said".  I told him that in my heart I knew that my daughter was a child of God.   That in the end it was not for him nor me to decide who sins or not sins, that it was up to God.

He was absolutely convinced that homosexuals chose to be gay.  He said that those people could choose to be heterosexual, if they wanted to live a life out of sin they could do so.  I told him I believed that being gay was genetic.  He told me there was no proof.  I asked him, if there was genetic proof for being heterosexual? There is no answer to any of these questions.  There is no proof why people are attracted to whomever they are attracted to.  It is just simply is what it is.

I think that, no I believe that God made everyone to be exactly who they are.  Just exactly the way they are.  I also believe that we choose before we even get here what the basic template of our life will be or look like.  We choose who our people will be and our outline of a circumstance.  A future can change because it is malleable.  No destiny is set in stone but there is always a basic pattern.  I guess it depends on whether you want to make a designer gown or a simplicity napkin.

We did agree on a few things.  We agreed that anyone with conservative values was being ostracized and prevented from really expressing free speech.   Kinda like cold war Russia.  You say nothing against the Party or you end up in Siberia.  I do feel like that a lot these days.  That there is only one agenda with one script and we all must follow or your kicked out of the herd.

We agreed that America or the World is going to go through a lot of growing pains and it is going to be a crazy bumpy ride.  I just hope I have enough flexibility of my mind and spirit to get through it all.

So, back to the going to hell thing.  I am pretty sure we all blatantly and knowingly sin against God.  We all look at the bible or scriptures and think that some or all of them are ridiculous.  I did point out to my friend that, if we were to get all literal about everything perhaps we should "Not Suffer a Witch to live."  Does that mean we should go around killing all the witches like in old Salem?  What about all wives being obedient to their husbands?  Are wives supposed to submit completely to our husbands without question?

Oh, yes...Hell.  So, we all are a bunch of dirty sinners.  Does this mean that we are all going to hell because we knowingly sin?  According to my friend we are.  Then, I guess we are all going to hell together.  I suppose then I will see you there.  I wonder, if they have cheese puffs and offer a selection of sodas?  Honestly, I hope we all are not going to hell.  That would really suck.  All this work, prayer and suffering would be for nothing, if hell is the only place we end up.  Because it would seem that to be sinless would be relatively impossible.  I know I cannot lead a sinless life even with the help of the bible in whatever form it is in.

Perhaps the best we can do, is to pray to God for guidance and listen to the still small voice and know, when he answers us and to follow what we know in our hearts to be true.  I am pretty sure we all know what the right thing to do is and the right course of action is.  Anyway, that is how I do it.  I live my life with a lot of prayer alone and I pray with my husband a lot.  Sure there is a bible and scripture reading but first and foremost we/I listen and do our best to do what we are guided to do.

I will admit that guy really got me angry.  I don't like being told I will go to hell.  Even, if I am going to hell because of something I did or do that is on me.  However, I always choose my daughter.  I love and support my daughter.  That is all there is.   She is a gift from God the most precious gift I have ever received.  I say let the flames consume me and her for I will not forsake nor let her stand alone.

I do find it sad that there are so many out there that would wish millions of folks to a lifetime of misery simply because they cannot help but love who they love.   I will never understand this.

I wonder what any of you would do, if confronted with my situation?  Would you stand by your child or abandon them?  What would be your answer?





2 comments:

  1. Not on your life would I forsake ANYONE that I love. Especially my children. No law, no religion is worth more.

    Once again Teri, your words are shared by more good folk than you realize.

    BTW... Hell is for they that cannot forgive themselves, and they don't die to get there. They live in it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not on your life would I forsake ANYONE that I love. Especially my children. No law, no religion is worth more.

    Once again Teri, your words are shared by more good folk than you realize.

    BTW... Hell is for they that cannot forgive themselves, and they don't die to get there. They live in it now.

    ReplyDelete