Saturday, June 27, 2015

Gay Marriage

Gay Marriage.  You know what?  I am really happy that Gay Marriage is legal in all 50 states.  I am.  I don't care who knows it.  

I am going to spill a few truths about me and my husband.  Back in 2008, our church held this campaign to pass prop 108.  It was the proposition to oppose Gay Marriage. I think it was prop 108.  Anyway, we were really active in our church and attended all our meetings and were obedient to every commandment that was given to us.  

Then one day at church they started to ask us to call people and tell them to vote for prop 108 and place these signs in our yards.  We just looked at each other.  There were no words said because we both thought it was ridiculous.  Who does this sort of thing to other people?  Not me or my husband, that is for sure.  

We took the signs and the phone bank numbers and as soon as we got home we threw them in the trash.  There was no way were going to participate in this madness.  This was the first time we were disobedient to our church and what they asked of us. 

We explained to our daughter (my daughter, his stepdaughter.  We think of her as our daughter) that people can't help who they love.  That God made everyone and he made Gay people just like he made Heterosexual people too.  We told her that at one time our church practiced polygamy and had to explain what that was and that in order for Utah to become a state we had to ban that practice because the rest of America found it distasteful and abhorrent.  

Not that I would ever practice polygamy.  I am kinda selfish and really am not the type to be able to share a husband.  Yet, there are many women better than me and able to do that kind of thing.  God love them. Besides there were days, when I was working full time and an Officer of the union and doing charity work, church work and a full time mom I would have loved a sister wife.  Just saying.  

My husband and I decided it is for God to decide what is right and wrong and not us in the matter of who loves who.  He made everyone.  He made the gays and Heterosexuals so there must be reason right?  Maybe to eventually bring us all together and realize that you just can't help but love who you love and really just love your neighbor like you love yourself.

Besides, isn't it time for our country to stop worrying about what people do with each other sexually, who they marry, what religion they practice and what they do with their genitals and start worrying about things like the terrorists at our door and our constitution being dismantled sentence by sentence.  

I mean there isn't one thing in our constitution about the gays or the heterosexuals.  The bible as it stands has been re-written so many times and torn apart and put back together that I am not sure it resembles anything like the original.  I mean whole books have been missing for centuries.  We know this.  Everyone knows this.  

Who is to say that the gays were not just fine in the original bible but cut out and the other stuff patched in.  We will never know.  That is why I think this kind of stuff be left to God and God alone.  My heart tells me to just be good and love everyone no matter what.  To forgive people no matter what.  I don't have to agree with them or like what they have done but I do have to find some peace, so I can go on.  

Yes, there are some intolerable things, like rape, incest, murder, crazy crap that makes no sense...etc but for the most part who you love  just does not fit into any of the stuff that makes you turn your back on someone or tell them you cannot marry them or love them.  

So, I say let this one go people.  Yes, I agree there might be some things that follow that will be weird like churches loosing their tax exempt status but I am sure in the long run things will work out.  I don't agree with not having a say with what children are being taught in schools and think that parents should be able to have the right to teach their children in their own way about who loves who in their own way.  

Don't get me wrong my conservative friends.  I am still so very conservative and hardly am swayed but this is one thing I just can't go there for.  I believe in love and to me there is nothing more important than love.  

I have often looked at my husband and asked him why I love him.  He looks at me and says, I have no idea.  He then asks me why does he love me.  I tell him that I am amazing, beautiful, smart and perfect.  This always gets couch pillows tossed my way but he laughs while he throws them.  There is no telling why people really love each other.  They just do.  Just because people have the same genitalia does not make it wrong.

My own daughter is attracted to people of her own sex and I don't care.  I simply want her to be happy and find someone to love her completely and be there for her.  To be fulfilled with a companion like everyone else.  What is so horrible about that?

Our church would have her marry a man and have children with him even, if she does not love him.  They would have her marry a man who loves men and then they would seem to cancel out what ever makes them wrong in the eyes of the church and make a life together.  I suppose that would be living a lie.  Is that worse?  To me that is worse.  

They would have children together and raise their children to believe their parents truly love each other.  Most likely, their children would be gay, since it is most likely genetic and everyone would be more confused and more unhappy.  Living unhappy and very sad lives.  I don't get it.  

So, after our daughter, came out of the closet, we decided that going to church was not in her or our best interest anymore.  We decided to support her 100%.  Kind of a small hill to stand on but the love of a child always trumps a church every time.  To be honest my love, our love of Heavenly Father has never died but we chose our daughter over dogma and we choose love every time.    

We stand by this Decision by the Supreme Court even though it is not a popular one with our friends or our church. However, I am so past caring what everyone thinks.  

I might regret this but what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment