So, we went to Vegas for a couple of days. As always we had fun. For us, Vegas is a time relax. We get a little suite and spend time in our room. I know lots of folks don't spend time in their rooms but we do.
I have heard people say who stays in their rooms in Vegas, we do. We wake up late. Get up for a few minutes and then go back to bed. We sit and just talk to each other and get to know each other all over again. Sometimes we get all crazy and order room service.
My favorite thing is the pool. I can spend days there. We don't have a pool at home. We have been in negotiations over a pool for our home for a very long time. I think I have lost the fight on the pool now that California is in perma drought. My Husband has said that, when we retire, I can have a pool. I might have to get that in writing and notarized he tends to change his mind about things like that. Anyway, if the sun is out, I will spend as long as my Husband is willing to let me stay baking in the sun. As long as I can have a good book, a yummy juice drink and no one talking to me I am happy. He tends to do other things in the casino. Men will be men.
Anyway, I had an interesting epiphany this Vegas trip. We were sitting in the lounge at Caesars. You know the one right in front of the main gambling area and I noticed that there were a lot of people with small children walking past us and many of them with babies in strollers.
I guess I never saw it before. Maybe I wasn't paying attention but there it was. Babies everywhere. I thought ...what the heck? Who brings children let alone a baby to Vegas? I personally have come to Vegas to get away from a small child a few times but never to bring one there.
So, in my little tiny brain, I kept thinking about the process a parent must go through to justify in bringing a child to Vegas.
Scenario one, they were passing through and needed a place to stay. OK, that is justifiable but why not at a non gambling establishment. Maybe a residence Inn, eat at a Applebee's someplace that does not place your child in an environment with smoke, gambling or half naked women. Let them decide, if they place themselves in a Vegas like situation when they are adults and can reason such a choice out.
Scenario two, they have to go to Vegas for a wedding and the children need to be there for the ceremony. Once again, stay someplace else. Bring the kids for the ceremony then leave immediately. I just don't see how a child belongs in a casino. Ever.
Scenario three, parents are totally selfish people and bring the kids thinking they will each take turns watching the kids. They fight openly in the casino about who is going to take the kids so the other parent can have fun. Each parent is equally drunk and hating the other parent for "ruining" their fun. I would say this is not a good example of good parenting for their children or the people watching them.
What I noticed was these parents were drinking adult beverages as they walked a circle around the gaming areas with their strollers full of infants or holding hands with their toddlers. Funny thing, they seemed to think that, if they placed a blanket over the baby in the baby carriage, it was like placing a cone of silence over the infant. That this blanket of protection kept all the noise, evil and smoke away from their precious infant. Sure it was.
I also noticed the toddlers were barley walking as they held their parents hands. These toddlers were up and with their parents well past midnight. Their eyes were half mast, feet dragging as their moms wore cha cha heels and their dads sipped tall ones. I kept thinking how could this possibly be fun for anyone? A cranky, sleepy toddler and a drunk selfish parent? Not a good combo, not now, not ever.
So, I had always thought of Vegas as an adults only place. Especially the casinos and half naked areas and the areas that promote them. A Disney for the over 21 crowd. Has Vegas gone PG?
So, tell me, have you ever taken your kids to an adult venue such as Vegas and expected to have adult fun? I know that I never have. My Daughter had a bedtime until she graduated high school. I never took her to an R rated movie or allowed her to go to one until she could take herself. Vegas is a place I never even thought of taking my child or even stopping by with her. Tell me, am I missing something?
What is it that would prompt you to bring your child to Vegas or to an adult situation like an R rated movie at midnight on a Saturday night? Am I old fashioned? If so, educate me, I need to know.
No comments:
Post a Comment