My Goal today was to sleep and not do anything. I am awake and drinking peppermint tea and toast at 0730. Why am I awake at this hour on a Saturday? My dog, that is why. She wanted to be cuddled. So, I had to cuddle her.
My dog is named, Pookie. She is a little white dog that weighs almost six pounds and I love this dog. She is my child. I did not think it possible to love an animal as much as I love this dog, I do.
I have had several dogs in my life and each one I have loved. Each one I think that I love as much as I love as a child. This dog is different. She is my child. Why do I say this? Because, I know that it is true.
OK, lets back tract. I had a similar dog named Gracie. I rescued gracie from a puppy mill. Gracie had lived her first nine months as a pack of fifty breeder dogs and her teeth were rotting out of her mouth. The breeder thought she was to big to breed and gave her to me only because we were friends. I had to bring her back after she had gone through two seasons and then she would breed her to a very small male in hopes of making small white dogs. I agreed. She ended up having one litter of puppies.
My daughter and I fell in love with gracie. We had to pull all her teeth and she lived her life with a tongue that lolled out of her mouth and she had to eat soft food. She did not play with toys or cuddle. She liked to simply be near me. She would be by my side not matter what. Follow me room to room and she was happy. That was gracie.
She died at the age of 13, three months before Cassidy went away to college. I was devastated. Then Cassidy was gone. I was in a car accident and my four runner was totaled. One sad Mama in the house and my husband had no idea what to do. He decided that he needed to take his wife to Egypt.
We went to Egypt in 2012 right after the big revolution. It was amazing and relatively safe. There were 12 people on our tour only four were from America. The rest were from Australia and Canada. We toured the Nile on a paddleboat and had a great time. However, as soon as we got home, there was no dog and no child. I was sad all over again.
Within three days of being home my husband told me to find another little white dog. He said he could not stand to have me so broken hearted and lost.
We found ourselves at the home of some evangelist christians. I think the father of the family was a paster or something. I don't know why but that was my general feeling from him. They had a cross collection over their fireplace. My only thought about that was that they would be very safe from previously catholic vampires. The crosses were painted in primary colors and haphazardly arranged. A very bold decorating choice, if I don't say so myself.
Anyway, he was home during the week along with his wife. We did not meet her. She was upstairs on some sort of conference call. His little girl was with him downstairs along with three little puppies.
We sat down on the family room couch. I had with my Louis Vuitton handbag. I only mention it because I had just obtained it. I was so excited about it. It is one of those bucket bags. I thought I could put the puppy in it. I also had a pink baby blanket.
I forgot about my bag and the blanket the minute the tiniest puppy came lopping up to me. I picked her up and it was love. The little girl started to cry and I did not know what to do so I sat her down and tried to bond with the other puppies but the dad told her that she knew eventually that, "Tiny Tina" would be taken.
I put the puppy I had in my hands down and Tiny Tina came running back to me. She jumped in my hands and I don't think she has ever been out of them since. We paid the family and took her home. I did not put her in my over priced hand back or the pink blanket. I just carried her as it.
She fell asleep on the way home in the car and I carried her into our home and outside. I set her on the grass and she opened her big brown eyes. It was like she had never seen grass. I could believe it because the carpet in that house was full of stains and puppy poop. She began to jump over the very tall grass (she was maybe 1.5 pounds at the time) and frolic with such joy and happiness my husband and I were entranced. We were in love.
We took her to the vet immediately and got her puppy shots and then to PetCo so we could get her everything a puppy could ever want. It was, if an older couple had finally been granted the adoption of a baby they had been waiting for. This puppy was showered with love and gifts beyond comprehension.
We still had not named her because we did not like the name Tina. We tried all sorts of names and I even asked my Facebook family. Finally, Pookie stuck. She really is a Pookie.
She loves her toys and plays with everything in her basket. I get her groomed, the same week I get my hair done, every four weeks. She has her teeth cleaned regularly because I do not want her to be toothless like gracie was. We walk all the time and she even has a stroller for the long walks that her little body cannot endure. My brother bought me the stroller because he did not want me to stop walking.
In my heart, I know she is not a real baby but she really does make me happy and fills the void of my only baby that has left the nest. She will never grow up and stays in a perma baby state that is really fun. To be honest I would rather have my real baby here with me about the age of seven forever but that is completely unrealistic and not practical at all. So, I have a little white dog.
Now, I understand why old ladies have little dogs. When I was younger, I did not understand why so many old ladies had these stupid yappy dogs that they dressed up and took every where. I get it. I am now one of them. Life really is a circle or a wheel or whatever.
What do you think? Do you think that old ladies such as myself should ditch our yappy dogs and do charity work to fill the void of our empty nests? Or, should we just enjoy our yappy dogs and be happy with the infrequent visits of our children and let the joy of being older be what it is?
I think that this old lady should do whatever makes her happy and that the other old ladies should do what makes them happy. Be it little dogs or big dogs, crochet, go go dancing or cougar activity. Then again, I have never thought one thought that was even close to what anyone else thinks.
No comments:
Post a Comment