Friday, July 24, 2015

Is it OK To be a RACIST? I don't think so

The other day I was talking to a few friends and we were talking about George Lopez, the Comedian. I was saying how much I used to like him and thought that he was funny.  Then I really listened to his comedy and found him to be very racist against white people.  I also, did not like how he was more than willing to take a kidney from his wife of a more than 20 years.  This was a miracle match.  A one  in a million match.  She gave him this kidney because she loved him and was his wife.  He repaid her with leaving her for a younger woman.

I stopped listening to him after than because he was a jerk and a racist.  My friends said that they had no idea he did that but it was OK that he was a racist against white people because white people had brought the Mexican people down for centuries and that it was OK to be a racist against them, if you were a Mexican.

I disagree 100%.  I do not think or believe it is "OK" to be a racist against anyone for any reason.  I told my friends this.  There was no reason to ever think any humor was funny especially racist humor because of some old hatreds.  How can we ever get past and go beyond, if we keep perpetuating the cycle of hatred?

I believe in what Martin Luther King said ....I will paraphrase.  We must rise above.  He was a brilliant and inspiring person.  I have always thought he meant instead of retribution or revenge, he meant that we should go and be better than the past and those that would oppress others.

I think he wanted us to embrace each other regardless of color, religion or culture.  To accept each other for who and what we are as equals and brothers and sisters.  I am so down with that.  I might not get someones frame of reference but I will do my best to try.  I might get angry at the way someone or some people think or do things and rant about it but I am willing to understand where they are coming from and understand their point of view.  I do my best to not come from a place of hate.

To me there is never an excuse to hate someone based on race.  If I don't like someone, there is a good reason for it.  There are very few people that I do not like and it takes a lot to get me there.  Usually race has nothing to do with not liking or hating someone.  Usually, I don't like someone because they are a real dick.

I have found lately that many people will simply hate white people because they are white.  Just like in days gone by.  You would find the same with many different races simply hated because they were not white.  Is this retribution now that the white race is in decline and feels guilty for what their ancients did in the past?  I don't know?  I just know that it seems that way now.  I do not think it is right.  I was not right then and it is not right now.

We as a people need to desperately stop hating each other and focus on other things besides color of skin or culture.  We need to worry about things like how we raise our children, our planet and environment.  I think it is irrelevant the religious beliefs of others, who we have sex with or marry, if we decide we want a penis or a vagina even, if we are born with one or not.  This is all trivial.  We need to abide by the laws we set by our countries and our states.  If we don't like them, then change them by a fair and democratic process.

Perhaps the only thing worth taking a real stand against is sex with children under 18.  This is wrong. Marring anyone under 18, again wrong.  Murder is wrong.  Rape is wrong.  Incest is wrong.  Stealing is wrong.  Lying is wrong.  Abuse against anyone is wrong.  Sex before the age of 18 is wrong.  Drugs or alcohol use before the age of 18 is wrong.   A few things to say we agree to say these things are absolutely wrong and we all agree to these terms regardless of race.

I am really into our constitution and our amendments.  I believe in America and what we stand for.  I believe in the pursuit of happiness.  I also think we all need to earn it.  My ancestors earned it.  I have earned it and so should everyone else.  Just because someones ancestor was oppressed does not mean that this person deserves anything.

My opinion is that we as a people have lost our way and what is really important.  What is really important is that we are a people and we all live here on this planet and share a common experience of being here right now.

I so want to be friends with all my neighbors but it is so hard, when they so look away from me with hatred in their eyes and I know that it is because they just want me to move because they want that white family to move so another Asian family will move in.  I have never had a chance simply because of my hair color, eye color and language.

I learned that my Mexican friends who I always just thought as of friends and until recently never would have put the word Mexican in front of the label friend before and thought that it was OK to hate white people because of the long ago past.  So, therefore they must hate me on some deep level.  I was hurt.  I guess they only like me to some degree or level of twisted friendship.  That I can never really be their friend because I am "white".  That I am really someone to be hated on some level.  That what I thought was a real friendship was not a real because in truth it was OK to hate me and be racist against me because I am white simply because I am not Mexican.  If it was OK for George Lopez, then it is OK for them.  To be honest I was really sad and very disappointed.

I still love my friends even though they truly can only love me to a certain degree and cannot get past my skin color or race.  I have promised myself that I will rise above and be their friends no matter what and continue to love and befriend all peoples regardless of race because this is who I am even though others cannot get past it, I will and I am.  I refuse to let something so trivial limit my love and friendship or give an excuse for poor and inexcusable behavior.

Yes, I will let this begin with me today and right now.  There will be no limit to how much or whom I love and why.  True love begins with one person.  I choose to let that person be me.  I forgive and will let it go even though it was hurtful.

I ask all my readers and friends to let it begin with you.  To say to yourself that it is not OK to be racist for any reason ever.  To love all people no matter what and that there never is an excuse to let it be OK.








2 comments:

  1. Don't forget that there is racism with the particular races. The blacks are free to use that dreaded "n" word with no repercussions but heavy forbid if it is a white person who does. Plus they discriminate against the variation in the different shades of color with in them. As does the Hispanic population. Does this make it right? Because it's against their own? Bottom line is until people learn to lake away labels and preconceptions we are basically doomed. The violence is going to increase. Education has to start at a very young age to break the cycle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that racism is within all circles of races. However, I think it is ridiculous. We as a human race desperately need to stop this cycle of hatred now and yes, educate our young and our old. Start with the one in our own selves and begin with the me and the you.

    ReplyDelete