So, my BFF and I were on our last lag home from Texas. We had stayed at the Quality Inn in Las Cruses, New Mexico.
I want to say I always like to stay in Las Cruses, New Mexico because it is the perfect half way point from Texas to LA. My mom got me started staying there in 2000 and I have been doing it ever since. She always liked the Quality Inn and I usually stay there.
I want to say this last time I was disappointed in the quality of the Quality Inn. Kinda shabby, if I don't say so. Maybe I have raised my standards in the last decade or so. I don't know. What can you ask for $70.00 dollars and free so called breakfast? I think my husband has spoiled me.
Anyway, here we were in the Quality Inn. We were in the land of enchantment and all. All magical and desert like. I do like New Mexico. The land itself speaks to me. I am not sure why. I feel that there is something magical about it. Secret and untold by the regular folk like you and me.
I just know by the time we get there my BFF is starving and I know I need to feed her. I had been on the road since 400 AM. I had to leave Leander, Texas at that time to pick her up in Dallas/Fort Worth to beat the traffic. My aunt and uncle live about three hours from Forth Worth. After visiting with my sister in Forth Worth, I went to Leander to visit with them. So by the time I got to Las Cruses, I had been on the road driving straight for 14 hours. I was a bowl of jelly. Not really hungry and in a very bad mood, my husband would not let my BFF drive my car, so it was me or nothing.
We checked in at the INN and I had about ten phone calls to make. You know, all the people who want to make sure you are safe and not dead. My BFF was really hungry and very antsy. I was ignoring her. I needed to touch base with the family and set them to rest that I was alive and well. I almost told her to walk to the McDonald's across the street. I didn't say that but I wanted to. Like I said, not my normal. I was in a really bad mood. 14 hours of driving will do that to a person.
After all that driving, I just needed 30 minutes to rest and relax, she could wait or she could go in search of food on her own. Sometimes you just need to take care of yourself first. In 30 minutes I was relatively calm and we headed out. We tried a KFC but they were out of chicken. What is it with chicken places and being out of chicken? We ended up at Arby's.
In less than an hour, I had eaten and my BFF was fed. I could have not eaten but I figured what the hell. I knew I would need to start my diet again, once I got back. I still need to loose 45 pounds to be at a relatively healthy weight. So, we both ate some very high caloric bad for us food and headed back to the INN.
I was ready for bed and all tucked in by 7:00PM. I have to put my good ear down and put pillows all around my head, when I bunk with my BFF. She is a media junkie. She has the TV on, her tablet on, phone on, her magazines all over and bedside table on. For most people this would be a problem, for me not so much. I have been a nurse for so long and had taken call for so many years in my youth that, when I lay down that is it. I am done.
However, this time, not so much. I was actually bothered by my BFF and her bedtime rituals. I guess there is a first time for everything. Apparently, in the night I woke up and told my friend that someone was breathing next to me. I decided that this was the last time I was ever going share a room with anyone other than my husband. Unless I absolutely had to.
Early that morning, before my alarm was to go off, I heard this humming or thrumming. I opened my eyes and I saw these indentations in the bedding. Like two foot or hand prints. I was generally annoyed and waived it all away. Whatever happened I was up before my alarm by five minutes. If there are ghosts or spirits, I do not care. Not my business, concern or argument. It is what it is.
My BFF and I got ready and headed out to the so called free breakfast. We sat down to the stale spread of the century. Like whatever. There were a few hard boiled eggs and water, so I was good.
We were just about done with the worst breakfast ever, when in comes three guys. These guys were dressed for the zombie Apocalypse. No joke. Camouflage everything. Tattoos everywhere. Knives in every reachable place. I almost chocked on my eggs. They even were wearing sunglasses.... inside.
First thought, why were the zombie killers here in a Quality Inn eating stale muffins? Shouldn't they be out in the wild eating a deer or a rabbit? Second thought? Are there zombies outside and will they save us? Third thought, do the zombies want the stale muffins?
I hit my friend and tilt my chin at the zombie killer guys. She almost spits out her stale breakfast. I say in a whisper, we need to get a picture of these guys. This is just to funny. She nods her head in agreement. Like all BFF's we can talk without speaking. I motion for her to stand by the fireplace. She does and I take a picture. We do this around the room. We are so trying not to giggle like little girls.
The only person who gets what we are doing is the only women who is around our age. She is laughing so hard, I wonder, if I need to Heimlich her. Everyone else is oblivious. Then all the sudden, one of the zombie guys comes over. He has a few remaining teeth in his mouth. He is pawing me and asks, if I want him to take a picture of the both of us. I kinda shake my head and want to run from the one tooth wonder guy. Yet, I so want to meet these guys. Who ever gets to meet zombie killers in real life?
Then all of them surround us. We end up taking pictures with all of them. It was kinda fun. I don't know, if they knew how ridiculous we thought they looked or they thought these middle aged ladies thought they were hot. We so did not think they were hot. Hopefully, the later, I like to think I made someones day by making them think I thought they were all sexy and hot. Oh, one of the guys nick names was Rambo. Yes, his name was Rambo. He was the shortest one and had the most tattoos. I towered over him like the Swedish women I am. It was a good picture.
There was a truck on the road with those metal balls on the hitch that was in front of us for a while. You know...balls of steel? I wonder, if that was them? I didn't look close enough to find out but I think it might have been. Who else but zombie killers would drive a truck like that. Just saying.
We looked up some things to do, when we get home. Like Prepper conventions. We got to talking about why zombie killers would be in a Quality Inn, in Las Cruses, New Mexico? My BFF said, a Prepper convention. I had no idea this even existed. Look it up. It does. We decided to go. Unfortunately, not so many in California but there are some in Arizona we can go to. I will be getting my own room.
I hope you have enjoyed the Texas chronicles. I have more stories of when I got back home, just haven't written them down yet. I have been thinking of not blogging anymore. It seems that I get about 40-60 people who read my blog, when I post. That is a lot of people in my book but I wonder, if it is worth it.
I ask you, do you want me to continue? You all got me into this. I enjoy the process and it is fun but I always feel like I am supposed to be doing better and better. Not sure, never did this before. What do you think?
I vote that you continue:) i dont get to read a lot of your blogs, but when i do, i completely enjoy them!!
ReplyDelete