Thursday, March 26, 2015

Ladies who lunch

I have had the recent privilege of going out to lunch with one of my BFF's.  I love going out to lunch with my girlfriends.  There is something so completely "girl" about this ritual.  You have to admit that the girlfriend lunch is the cornerstone of what makes a girl a girl.  

Think about this.  From the time we are starting school we eat with just the girls.  We are separated by gender and eat at the girl table.  At least that is how I remember it.  There was hardly any time that a boy would ever cross the divide and dare to enter the world of girl and sit with us let alone interrupt what was going on in girl world.  

Of course, there was always the pecking order of girls.  The popular girls, who were the pretty girls.  Then the sport girls, who were really good at sports.  The band girls, the drama girls, the smart girls, rich girls, poor girls and then the reject girls (I was a complete dork.  I still am.  Shhh.  Don't tell anyone).  Funny the order hasn't really changed that much even now.  

To be honest I never really fit in with any group of girls.  I was kinda the floater.  I was every ones friend.  As long as you wanted to be my friend, I was your friend.  I have always been like that.  My policy has been that there is no one group that can be all that for me and that all groups are equal.  So, I am your friend until your an Ass Hat, then your not my friend.  I am really lucky.  I have friends from all over.  Every single group.  I get to enjoy every ones ideas, thoughts and culture.  Its like my life is covered in rainbow sprinkles everyday.  I am the ice-cream and my friends are the sprinkles.  

Back to the lunch thing.  Having lunch with one of the girls is so much fun.  You get to wear something floral or pretty.  Eating at a place that has salads and cookies is always an option.  Sometimes eating with a man means large meat items must be on the menu.  Girls seldom care, if there is meat to eat.  You get to talk about anything you want and gossip just a little bit as long as its not to hurtful or mean.  No one has to drink any alcohol to have fun.  Girls seldom need to drink in order to have fun with each other.  In my experience, girls only drink when men are in the equation.  Just saying.  

I know that sometimes a lunch with certain ladies can mean your social status is changing or about to change.  I have been part of those lunches.  These lunches are boring and really stressful.  They are also very important and almost required.  I always think of them as an interview.  You plan what you wear down to the most teeny tiny detail.  Your manners are perfect.  Most women have at least one or two of these.  Maybe more depending on what your life path is.  If you marry, you will have one.  This will be with your future Mother-in-Law.  I find these lunches very long and tedious.  Yet, a right a passage to be sure.  If you don't have one, then your Mother-in-Law was remiss and really should have invited you out to lunch or some sort of activity at some point before you married her son.  My Husbands Grandmother almost made me wet myself during our little lunch.   She did her job.  

Then there are the business lunches.  These are mostly women posturing back and forth in some sort of cat like way to see who is going to eviscerate who in the coming week.  Men have nothing on women regarding being competitive in the business world.  Now, I am a Nurse and we are just happy to be able to eat lunch in the first place.  I didn't realize the whole business lunch ordeal until I was a Union Officer.  Yikes!!  I learned fast.  I was so trusting and thought that women like Nurses would work as a team.  Wrong.  Anyway, a women's business lunch is all smiles and nice nice but underneath it is a pit of vipers.  I found out fast what the real task was and got out of dodge.  I learned not to order anything but a glass of water or a garden salad and escape as soon as possible. Anything longer than fifteen minutes was way longer than I would ever want to spend at any lunch with a group of business women.  I was built to help people not watch them bleed to death.  

Best lunches are with friends.  The only time you can just let your guard down and relax.  Eat the food you want and talk about what is important.  Your family, their family and what is going on in each others lives.  It is wonderful to chat and connect with another female who is not trying to out do you in style or whatever.  Just being with a friend because they love you for who you  are and vice verse.  It is good to have friends that are good people.  Most women have at least a few friends that they can trust and can call sisters.  I am lucky that I have many that are my sisters.  

I do know a few women that have no real friends.  Oh.  They have friends that hang with them but I would not call their pose friends.  They would turn on each other for a martini.  I have seen it.  This type of girl has to be the most beautiful in her group or she will make sure she is.  They seem to be those kind of girls that are toxic to other females.  They are so competitive for a man's  attention that they simply will toss their sisters in front of the bus every time just to get the guy.  We all know these girls.  I personally never go to lunch with them.  Hateful creatures this type.  You know, the kind that is so degrading to you no matter what.  I know one such person who is so vile and mean that I actually wish something bad would happen to her every time I see her.  I just can't help it.  In fact, I avoid her at all costs so my soul is not in peril, when I interact with her.  This is wrong of me and I wish I could get over my dislike of her.  I am sure everyone has a person like this in their lives.  

Yes, the girlfriend lunch in my opinion is the best lunch there is.  Hands down the best time there is for a lunch any place on the planet.  Don't take me wrong.  I love spending time with my Husband and Daughter.  They are the loves of my life.  I adore my Stepchildren.  Also, the loves of my life, yet a happy lunch with one of my BFF's and all is right with the world again.  Take an afternoon off and go out to lunch my friends and enjoy some time with your friends.  Your heart will feel lighter and your soul brighter.  Enjoy.  




No comments:

Post a Comment