Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Sharia Law and Target

I keep thinking about something.  I am obsessing about this thing I read on FACEBOOK.  It was this article on Sharia Law and Target.  Now, I might have miss read something or miss interpreted something.  I totally will take the hit for not understanding an article.  I have a small brain and I need small words.  I admit fully that I am no super brain and need a lot of tutorials about many subjects.  However, this article just keeps grinding into my soul and it makes me so unhappy and I just want to go all Rosa Park's over it.  

So...here is what my take away was.  This article said that certain Targets were having signs posted in the check out lines for their Muslim check out clerks.  The signs read something like "If you have pork products or alcohol products, please choose another line". This made me just loose my mind.  

I so tried to think about this and be all Liberal and talk myself into something like...OK Teri...Their religion forbids them from eating Pork.  Therefore that makes sense.  Then I read the law, it say no touching.  OK? Then I read the article and it was centered on Muslim women working at Target.  OK?  Then I tried to understand a little bit further.  Women, according to this law are supposed to be covered head to toe.  Cared for and protected by their husbands.  OK? 

I then read five books I found on the Muslim culture explaining  how this culture works. They were books of fiction based on the culture written by a Muslim.  I enjoyed them.  I needed to learn without bias how this culture was in a story form without becoming angry.  I wanted to bond with the characters.  What I learned was this.  A women is supposed to be protected and cared for 100% by her husband and not be seen by any man who is not her husband or immediate family  She is not to work.  She is not to read unless her husband permits her to read.  He also dictates what she may read.  She may read the Koran.  She is not to drive.  She is not to be in public without a male relative or I think an appointed attendant.  There was so much more.  It took me a very long while to get through all these books but I did it.  I will admit I thew them across the room and yelled at them.  I must say that for an American woman it is very difficult to read literature for Muslims meant for Muslims.  I do decline to reference my source.  I stand by that.  

My question is why is this Muslim woman working in a Target for all Infidels to see and ogle her?  Why is she not behind her home trellis walls? Why is she reading? Why did her Husband place her in such a predicament as to have her near a pork product to begin with?  What sort of Muslim man would be so irreprehenisible as to place her in such a jeopardy as such place as Target?  Why was she not covered head to toe?  Who drove her to Target?  How can this woman pick and choose what Sharia Law she abides by? My answer...no one.  She was told to do this. 

As an American I cannot decide if I do not want to work on Sunday.   If I am working for Target and a Christian, I cannot dictate this.  How can she choose not to handle pork or not?  How is this different?  How can a Mormon choose to not sell alcohol or cigarettes ?  A Mormon cannot choose.  If this Mormon chooses to work for any company in America, he/she has to sell or do what the employer dictates or leave the company.  How is this different?  I do not understand how this is different.  A Mormon is just as devout as a Muslim.  There is no difference.  

What makes this religion so special?  So above all others and the common law that binds us all?  I really am bothered by all this.  First of all by this Muslim husband/brother that would place his wife, daughter or sister in such a predicament as to have to stand up for her rights where she has never had to stand up for her rights before.  What sort of man is this?  Second, for target to fall a fool to all this.  This is a ploy by this one religion to get their way.  If this one faith does this, then all faiths should be able to have a say so as to their particularities or leave the employment of those who do not accommodate them.  

I say, you work for an American company, you abide by the rules or you quit.  There is no argument.  There are plenty of opportunities in America.  I honestly think and believe that the Muslim faith chose this box or Target  to stand on and see how far they got.  Apparently they got pretty far.  Stupid Target.  


3 comments:

  1. I think there have been several things recently in the news of Muslims requiring special treatment based on "religious law" but on closer observation, they themselves are not following Muslim law, and that is sort of how they ended up in the predicament in the first place. I'm not sure why there is so much focus on the Muslim religion the past few months in particular - politics I guess. Maybe some Muslims are struggling to understand our culture, it definitely isn't all black and white, our cultural idioms may really trip people up sometimes, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Americans are likely the most tolerant people on the planet. This makes it hard for us to make the tough calls about what we should tolerate. Any group that makes intolerance one of its basic tenets is not eligible for consideration. Any group that expresses a desire for, or sets the goal of political and or religious domination, is, by definition, intolerant. This is the one thing that must be eliminated if freedom and tolerance are to survive. It is better for one group to be forced to modify its beliefs thsn for the entire world to be enslaved in a mockery of tolerance. If Muslims require Shaira law, then they must live in Muslim countries, but they still don't get a pass on abusing and killing adherents of other faiths. Enough already, we have to insist that governments act as civilized entities, whether they are theocracies or not. Christians don't get a pass, Hindus don't get a pass. Jews don't get a pass. Why should the world accomodate behavior from Muslims that they condem in everyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Americans are likely the most tolerant people on the planet. This makes it hard for us to make the tough calls about what we should tolerate. Any group that makes intolerance one of its basic tenets is not eligible for consideration. Any group that expresses a desire for, or sets the goal of political and or religious domination, is, by definition, intolerant. This is the one thing that must be eliminated if freedom and tolerance are to survive. It is better for one group to be forced to modify its beliefs thsn for the entire world to be enslaved in a mockery of tolerance. If Muslims require Shaira law, then they must live in Muslim countries, but they still don't get a pass on abusing and killing adherents of other faiths. Enough already, we have to insist that governments act as civilized entities, whether they are theocracies or not. Christians don't get a pass, Hindus don't get a pass. Jews don't get a pass. Why should the world accomodate behavior from Muslims that they condem in everyone else?

    ReplyDelete