Friday, March 20, 2015

What is up with the Race thing

I have been thinking a lot about this racial stuff going on in our Country.  I know it has been going on a very long time.  Perhaps maybe since the beginning of time in one form or another.  I guess it just seems really out of whack.  Not that racial tensions should ever be part of any time line  Just saying.

Anyway, It seems to me everything I read or see is the Black folk hating on the white folk and apparently vice verse.  I just don't get it.  I really don't.  It seems we all come from the same genetic pool.  Right?  We all seem to have the same God stories in some form or another. The God stories have the same root beginning and end.  The names are different but the lesson is always the same.  We all bleed.  We all fall in love, give birth, die, get sick and so on and so forth.  What can be so different that makes us hate each other so?

I personally don't hate anyone who is a different color or race than me.  I might become annoyed at another person because they are an ass hat but color or race has nothing to do with it.  I discriminate evenly towards all folks who are jerks no matter what color or race.  The person who parks in a handicap space who is not handicapped is a jerk no matter what color or race hands down.  The person who gives of themselves with a selfish thought is a good person no matter what the color or race.  I think we can agree on that.  Then why do we continue to divide ourselves into this or that race or color?

The other day, I was involved in a conversation and the topic was skin color.  I wondered why we even said black, white, brown or yellow?  Why not just say a dark brown person or a light creamy skinned person etc?  There was a person who identified with being "black" in our conversation, she said, that in her community to not call a black person black was not an option.  I did not understand that at all.  She said that would cause and uproar and make many of "her" people angry.  I was truly confused.  I thought we were all one people.  When did being a human being become divined into different colors?  I have seen inside of hundreds of people (I am an Operating Room Nurse after all) We look exactly the same inside every single time.  You cannot tell the difference in-between a dark skinned person or a yellow skinned person once you are looking inside.  I mean maybe a really awesome sauce MD can, but not me.  I could not tell you a Black person liver over a white person liver ever.

So, why the hatred?  Why? are the Black folk asking for the white folk to pay them for the slavery days?  Now, I have read a lot of history.  Not tons but enough to give me a perspective.  From my understanding, most of the slaves that came here were people who were captured in wars from other tribes and then sold to the slavers.  So, they were slaves already.  Then they were sold as slaves again.  Sounds like just what the Romans did with the Britons and all the other Lands they conquered along the way.  However, they did it for about a thousand years or so more.  Should we of European descent be asking Rome for some reparations now?  How about when the Hannibal conquered Eastern Europe and enslaved them?  Just saying.  I guess I could go on and on.  No question that slavery was a big part of our world history along with the conquering thing. I am glad we are basically over that.  Maybe we should just start to be look to what makes each of us awesome instead of what makes us different then maybe we could finally move on.

Maybe, if that were to happen, whites paying the blacks for slavery, we should do genetic testing on every Caucasian to determine, if that white person has the proper genetic mix of "white" that actually enslaved the blacks.  Just the Southern White folk from that time period.  Its something to think about.  I mean, I have a chunk of American Indian in my mix, so maybe then I should only have a percentage of payback.  OK...I am going on a loop here.  I am being ridiculous to prove that this is really silly.  My point is that we all live in America and we all came from someplace else.  Except for the American Indian.  In my thinking the American Indian is the one that really got screwed in the deal here.  They lost everything and no amount of Casino's are ever going to give them back what they lost.  Ever.  If anyone deserves to be said to every single day from every single race or color of person every where.... The great big I am sorry, it is the American Indian.

I would like future generations to be able to not think twice about race or color, when they see another face.  I would like neighborhoods to be places that people are just that... people.  For instance, my neighborhood is filled with Asian Folk and low on White Folk.  We have tried so hard to be friends with our neighbors but they ignore us.  Shun us.  We keep our yard perfect.  Our house is maintained.  We are quite.  We wave at everyone.  No on waves at us.  There is one elderly lady across the street that is nice to me but that is it. I am told that we are not wanted in our Asian neighborhood because we are white folk.  It's not like we have a car on cinder blocks in the yard or anything or drink Coors beer on the porch and are missing teeth.  We are both professionals and quite prosperous.  I guess we are the trash in our neighborhood and they want us out.  It happens to everyone... this race and color thing.  Our neighbors do not know us. They do not want to know us.   They just know we are not Asian and therefore they hate us.  Simply because we are not like them.

I believe that as long as we assume that people are like the stereotypes we believe then to be then we will never get any where in developing as a better people.  As long as we divide ourselves into race and color we will never move forward into a world where that simply won't matter any more.  What a place our world would be, if it didn't matter at all.  That just someones character was the only defining factor and not the color of their skin or their race.   I would love to live in a place like that wouldn't you?  However, until that day or until that time, when we can just grow up and get over it all and ourselves then we are stuck in this hatred thing.

I would suggest the first thing we need to do is for each color and race to sit down and decide to forgive the other for all time and move forward.  Just let the past go.  Then stop having clubs like the black club,  or Mexican club...etc.  Have a club that teaches about all cultures instead.  It just seems, when you have things like that it divides us instead of brings us together.  Bring our children together so they become friends.  They go to school together are in the same clubs and sports together so that there are no more dividing factors.  That way everyone has the same chance.  The chance to be a part of the American Dream together.

I remember seeing that PBS circle of hands of different colors.   It was in the 1970's and I remember loving that circle and wishing that our world was really like that.  I still do.  I suppose I am just being a dreamer and wishing on a star.  Perhaps not.  What do you think?  Do you think it is to late for us and we are divided forever and no amount of working towards unity will ever bring us together as one people and that is that or is there still hope?






2 comments:

  1. I read this and felt that you have described the intense attachment that some people have to their cultural backgrounds. It often does seem that outsiders are heavily excluded.
    They have a wonderful slavery museum in Curacao, Dutch West Indies, which was the hub of human trafficking from Africa for the Dutch West India Company to the Caribbean in the 1600's. The museum was so much more than I expected - I wish I would have had more time to spend there. Besides being an emotionally wrenching experience, in part because they have such a large collection of artifacts of the African Slave trade - I think the largest remaining, it was very thought provoking because it examined so many aspects of slavery. I never really compiled in my brain that slavery has existed almost since the dawn of man in almost every major world civilization throughout history - read the bible, etc. It persists to this day and extends from actual physical slavery to slavery to our jobs, our families, our cultural values, and to our possessions. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see that museum. I would love to explore this subject more and become an expert so to say. I feel that so many people, me included have to much to say about it and could really be the beginning to the end of the problem.

      Delete