What makes a person evil? Or precisely what makes a person become evil? Have you ever wondered this? Lately I have been stumbling over this in question in my mind.
At first I thought it was a question of sanity. I thought that most persons who's minds had turned to mush were susceptible to the becoming evil and the other way around. Then I realized that some persons who were crazy or were labeled crazy were not evil at all. That in fact most people who were on medications for what most of us would call insane were not in the least evil. That they were truly good people just trying to not loose the last thread of sanity they had or maybe not.
Take the depressed folks out there. The truly depressed folks that go into the deep dark hole and they cannot escape unless they are heavily medicated and/or have a really strong support system. Most of these people cannot even hold a job for fear of this hole that they step into and simply cannot function as a regular person would in this world. From what I understand it is like they have lost an arm or leg and the ability to walk for periods of time. I think it would be easier to have lost the leg or arm at least other people could see the reason for your inability to function at times. I guess it would be the same as a person who is emotionally abused by a spouse. This person is berated and beaten by words not by fists. Yet, there are no bruises or scares to see, so therefore no one can see the pain they suffer. Perhaps it is the same for the depressed person as well as the emotionally abused.
I supposed that you can say that a person who is depressed might be the same person who is suffering from verbal abuse. I would think that person is an object of evil not insanity. Yet, being depressed and saying they are suffering from verbal abuse puts them in this category of being insane and in a position of being mocked. Being mocked would be another form of evil. Right?
So. Back to my question. What makes a person evil? Is it an innate trait something they are born with or something they learn? Maybe....When a person is mean or wicked to another and feels this certain sense of power over another they begin to learn that evil makes them feel powerful. Once they feel this power the only way they can emulate it again is to treat others with contempt and hatred or to inflict harm? These people start out doing small acts of humiliation. Like a school yard bully or a person that inflicts pain and suffering on small animals. I am not sure. I am only thinking out loud here. Then the small stuff no longer works and they move on to larger acts of hatred and bigger badder stunts of insanity. Perhaps they become a sadist or a murderer. I am not sure. Again just my mind whirling around with this question of the root of evil.
You hear about the child molester and you think how did this person get here? What caused them to get to this point of taking a child and doing what they do? To me this is the purest of all evil other than killing a child. There is nothing worse. Yet my mind is twisted with how this happened in the first place. Is this society? Is this genetic? Was it the Mother and Father or both? What would make a grown adult seek a child and destroy innocence in a fell swoop as to molest a child? How could an adult let evil enter them to such a level to justify this act? I don't know? Yet, if you were to ask a molester, they would say the child asked them or wanted the advances. At least this is what I have read. I have never asked.
I have recently watched a movie about a doll called Annabelle. This doll was the carrier of a demon. This demon wanted to collect souls to hell. This story was based on true account. A prequel to another story about a family that moved into a haunted farmhouse. I was so scared, so terrified that unless my Husband is with me, I need a light on at all times. I find myself reciting prayers from my youth and relying on my baptismal to save me. I am truly terrified of evil. Rightly so and justified. I believe there is world we do not see and avoid at all costs. This might seem old world and silly to some. Yet, to me this world of evil is to be avoided at all costs and to be taken seriously as dangerous.
Here is a little side story. I have always had night terrors. There is no reason for them. I have had a very tame life. I wake up screaming for no known reason and fall right back to sleep. I have no memory of these night terrors only the stories that evoke the sleepless nights my family has endured from them. Once I married my husband and was baptized unto his faith, my night terrors were no longer. However, I cannot sleep without him. I am homesick beyond homesick without him. Unless, I am with my family, I cannot be far from him and know that I will have a sleep without waking the dead with my screams. I have no logical reason for my behavior other than for once in my life I feel safe enough to sleep. I know that my Husband is my spiritual and physical protector. Even though he might pretend he his not a man of God, my husband is tight with the Lord. There is no way any man could be my Husband without being a man of God. Just saying. My Husband lays his hand upon my head in prayer and I know that his blessing comes from the Lord on High.
Back to the subject of evil. I know many people that make me shiver. I know they are evil and wonder when they surrendered their soul to Satan? I wonder, if they know they have? I believe that Satan kinda sneaks in and whispers in your ear that its just a small thing they are doing. Not really a big deal. Every one is doing it. I read once that the real reason for demons was to wreak havoc on mankind and to make chaos on our world so that it would not be recognizable. I feel this to be true. 100 years ago having premarital sex was unthinkable for most of us. Yet, now we do this without thinking. I know I have. I justified this act as a normal act and one of love and something natural. Have we let evil into our lives this much? Let the whispers of hell into our ears to change evil to good and good to evil? I think we have.
Does premarital sex make you evil. I don't know? I hope not. Then I am a complete sinner doomed to hell. Does taking the Lords name in vain make you evil? Then I suppose I will spend forever in darkness doomed to being stabbed with pitchforks I have a real potty mouth. I am not alone on either front. There was a time, when swearing for me was difficult. Now it is a sport. I think that we are all succumbing to evil on some level. Maybe the point is that we are all evil to some degree. My Mother used to tell me that everyone can justify the evil one does. Just ask them. I believe her words to be true.
I know a women who is so truly evil that her own children will have nothing to do with her or very little. She is toxic to be around and so foul mouthed that I cringe, when she speaks. I truly fear her. She pretends to be a women of the Lord. I have my doubts because of the company she keeps. Yet, Jesus kept some pretty colorful company. I try not to be in her presence because my inner self tells me to keep away. I listen to that voice. I stay away and let her know I am not her friend. You cannot let evil know that you befriend it. She is the type that will use you and enjoy it and boast how she used you. We all have those in our lives we know are in league with Satan. I think Its Gods way of letting us know what evil looks like and to stay far away. I listen and stay away.
Perhaps we all have a little evil in us and a little good. Maybe it is our choice to keep correcting ourselves not matter how many mistakes we make and keep following the path of good and redeeming ourselves and asking for forgiveness? I hope so because I have a lot of asking to do a lot of redemption to make. I am so not perfect and I really don't want to be evil. I want my heart to be good and to be pure of light and love. At least in theory, there are times I really want to stab others in the heart with a dull spoon. I have a long way to go.
Back to the question. What makes a person evil? I still don't know. Maybe it is a bunch of things together and the person begins to give up and stop fighting the goodness that is in them. They just let the evil take over and it wins somehow. Maybe that is it. All the sudden the good little boy or girl they were is no longer with the evil person that stands in front of you is the end result. Perhaps that is the answer. You know that friend you knew before all the sudden is doing something so heinous you can't believe it. You say, Oh my God...Johnny would never do that. I knew him. Yet Johnny did it. This is the result of the giving into the evil and letting the good slip away. Maybe this is what makes a person evil?
I am really not coming from a christian perspective here. Just to be clear. More metaphysical and ethereal. I am sure that evil and good encompasses all walks of life and faiths. I have had a very long and strange trip, when it comes to my walk on the spiritual side. I have been lucky enough to see many sides of the same question and flips of the coin. I see this as a good thing. This has lead me to have a very open mind and an open heart. I like to think of it as a clear vision on the road home.
Let me say this about God. God has a lot of Daisy's in his world. They thrive all over his planet in all types of environments. People are a lot like daisy's. Some people need a lot of water to thrive. Some people don't. Some people need a lot of church. Some people don't. God plants you where you will thrive and he waters you accordingly. I am very blessed that I grow wherever I am planted and thrive in any environment. As long as I can get a little water and a little sunlight I will grow. I am not snobby about My God. Just a little God will do me or a lot. As long as there is a God and no darkness then all is good. I am thankful for just that.
What do you think? Is evil just the end result of letting go of your goodness or something else? Do you know what makes people evil?
I love reading your blog. I am surprised more people do not comment. I know that many people read this and I hear that they enjoy reading what you write.
ReplyDeletePeople are so difficult to understand, "good" people and "bad" people because everyone may have so much in common but they also have their differences. The most anyone can do is try. If a person has a handful of very close friends outside of their family, that fits on the right place on their "good scale" then they are very "rich". I think everyone has a fear of accidentally befriending unknown "evil". I like your comment "As long as there is a God and no darkness then all is good. I am thankful for just that." I'd even settle for "and darkness eventually comes to light" in the places where I need it to to feel safe. Not everything or everyone is open enough to reveal themselves at first glance and anything more than shallow relationships take so much work.
Your so awesome. I still am not sure about this blog thing. I am not sure about the people reading my blog or not. I am kinda having fun writing.
ReplyDeleteI just saw this and thought about your post. http://aeon.co/magazine/philosophy/what-will-morality-look-like-100-years-hence/
ReplyDelete