Tomorrow is April 15th and it is Tax day. I read once, that only 48% of Americans actually pay taxes. I wonder, if that is really true. I keep thinking about that percentage. That must mean that the working Americans are really working hard and the ones who pay the taxes are paying for the ones who don't. So, the ones who earn money in some capacity have to account for it in some fashion and then the ones who make over a certain amount have to pay at the end year even though they have been paying all year long. Right?
OK. Let me get this straight. I work and get taxed. I take no deductions. There is a list on my check that is very long from several Government Offices that take their share. A certain percentage for every dollar I make. I did the math once. Basically I work a week and a half for free every month. Then, for every purchase I make I am taxed. For the home I live in, I pay property tax. You see the trend. It just goes on and on. More math, another week of my life working for free for more taxes. So basically, every month I work two and half weeks for free just to pay for all the taxes in my life. Now, I only did the math in my head, I never sat down with pen and paper or calculated it out for real. I have not been that brave. So, that leaves me one and a half weeks of pay for everything I need in my life. That isn't much, when you think about it. I think, if I did the math right, that cuts my hourly wage in half or a little less than half.
Back to the topic. Then out of the 100% of Americans who work only 48% of them end up paying taxes to the Federal and State or other agencies. So only 48% of us keep America going. What do the rest of 52% do? Also, what about the 100% of the non Working Americans and the Non Americans who are here who do not pay taxes at all? That seems to me that there are a lot of people not pulling their full weight. Then again, I could have read a bogus article with incorrect numbers. Once again, I wanted to find out the real number but I was kinda scared it was lower than 48%. So, I chickened out.
Then I got to thinking about all the services and freebies we as Americans give out. I am talking about a lot of Welfare to a lot of folks. Most or, if I am not mistaken, do not pay any taxes. Many of these folks are not Americans or not even legal citizens. Right? Yet, we keep giving and giving. Makes my head hurt a little. I am all for charity. I love helping people. I just don't see how that is sustainable. How can 48% maintain 52% forever?
If the 52% has children, they teach their children that the 48% will always provide. These children see by example that they never really have to do anything and they usually don't. I have an acquaintance who has several children. My "Friend" lives her live as a taker and a hypochondriac. She expects everyone to cater to her every whim and believes herself to be justified in receiving all the government welfare that she does. Her children grew up this way and not one of them holds a job. They all have "disabilities" and live off the Government in one form or another. I wonder what her grandchildren will end up like? So far, the apples do not fall far from the tree in this family. Makes me kinda sad. I wonder what potentials are lost in this way of life. What abilities squandered to live a live of mediocrity? I suppose we will never know.
Then take a look at the 48%. These folks have very small families because they simply cannot afford to have more than one or two children. Some families do have more than two. They are amazing budgeters. I need to sit at their feet and learn. It is absolutely almost impossible to pay for 52% of the population and procreate more than once or twice. Just saying. I know as part of this group, I feel so responsible for everything and every one. Like every thing is my personal fault. That makes no sense. Yet, when I talk to my peers, the feelings are mutual. I wonder why that is? I know that there will be no Government handouts for my children or me. That I will have to pay for everything I do and earn my way 100%, as well as my children. That it is expected of me to give my time and my money as well as my taxes to others for the benefit of all. There was never a question. Simply the way it is. I have really not expected the Government to "do anything". I wonder why they mismanage or why they are so idiotic. Then again I vote.
Back to taxes. As my Husband makes out the big check for our taxes and he talks about us being poor, I kinda snicker. We are not poor. We have a roof over our head. We have food to eat. We have a little dog named Pookie that is like our child. We both have good jobs. We both have the most amazing and beautiful children on the planet. Yes, I am biased. We both belong to a really cool church. We might not be very active in our church, OK we never go to church anymore. That does not diminish our love of Heavenly Father and our faith. Not even a little. We have our health. Well, mostly. I am kinda straddle the fence but I work hard to be as healthy as possible. We both have the most interesting extended families imaginable. Gotta love that. I haven't even begun to use them for blog fodder. Trust me that will be fun. We have a great marriage. It took work and it still takes work but it is worth it. The blessings we have just keep on keeping on. Besides my idea of poor and his idea of poor are two different things.
Do I like taxes? No. I think that our tax system is insane. I do not think we can possibly continue on this course of action and be prosperous. I am just a simple Nurse with limited knowledge and even I can see how ridiculous our system is. I think we need a flat tax of 24% across the board. 2% to be taken out each month with a percentage taken out per state determined as to the state population per month. Everyone who physically can work works. Even if it is watching children, cleaning houses or doing laundry( something...anything). Everyone contributes and pays into the system. Unless you are friggin crazy, have no arms and legs or are dying you contribute something. Unless you are a citizen or becoming a citizen and are here legally you do not get any benefits from our country. Just because you are born here does not make you a citizen. Only if your parents are citizens, makes you a citizen. Education through college is free as well as all dental/vision/health care. We all pay into it we all get basic health care. You can also buy supplemental insurance.for better care. You can also buy private education. You can home school. The constitution is followed without question.
It could work. It sure would free up a lot of money for commerce. Our economy would boom. Companies would not have to insure their employees anymore and they could come back to America. America could be the place to make things again. Education would be here again. Americans would be the place where the smart folk came from again. People wold have money to burn. We would build things again. We could start to dream again instead of dreading tax day we could be the leaders and dreamers again. Then what do I know? I am just a middle aged woman with a small education and a little tiny life and an even smaller blog.
According to the US Constitution, Section1of the 14th Amendment specifically states that: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." Therefore, anyone born on US soil is a US Citizen. If their parents are not US Citizens, then having a baby born on US soil will not make them US Citizens, but their child will still be a US Citizen. The Constitution was written prior to some of the immigration issues that we have today. I just had the pleasure of sending the IRS and the State extra spending money. Cheers. Elaine
ReplyDeleteI know....I know....I can dream can't I
ReplyDelete