Death does funny things to people. I know it does funny things to me. I am not a fan. Intellectually I know that death is another phase to our existence. That death is an end to our bodies here on earth and the beginning to our eternal life in paradise. Yet, even though I know these things, I have a hard time every time I loose a loved one to this thing called death. My heart aches and I grieve. I cannot help it. I am inexcusably human.
My Aunt Chip passed away a few days ago. I was not informed of her passing. I am on the end of the information chain in my family. I suppose you would call me the Omega Female in my female. I exist in the family, yet I am not important enough to be told or involved in anything remotely important. Simply the way it is. I am not complaining. Being the Omega makes my life very simple. I am not held responsible for anything on the grand scale of family, so I get to just "be". It is kinda cool. Except, when something important happens, like a death, birth, marriage or something like that. Then it sucks major monkey feet.
I received a text today from one of my other Aunties that my Aunt Chip had passed. Very grateful to her that she let me know. I immediately sent a text to my brother. He did not know either. I suppose I was not surprised but I was sad. She had suffered from Dementia for a long time and had been in a great deal of pain. I had really wanted to see her one last time, but I knew that she would not know me. I did not want her to be more confused with a visit from me. There was also the fact that she was a half a country away. The last time I had seen my Aunt Chip was at least eight years ago. Let my guilt trip begin.
So, I would like you to know my Aunt Chip like I knew her. She was the oldest of six children and the only girl. She was raised on a farm and never wanted to marry a farmer, which she promptly did and then became a farm wife. Then she promptly had two girls. She was a Practical Nurse. At least this is what I think she did. I remember my Mother telling me that Aunt Chip was a Practical Nurse. I asked her what that was. She said that she was taught to be a Nurse at the Hospital. We all thought she was the smartest person ever and did what ever she said. She also was the most organized and cleanly person on the planet. If Aunt Chip came to visit and stayed at our house, your house became cleaned and organized from top to bottom. No one could clean like her. She also was the most amazing cook. She was friggin fantastic. You could gain five pounds from just standing in her kitchen. These are just a few things about her that I found amazing.
She had this reputation for being bossy. I suppose she was. I mean, she was the oldest of six and being a girl she had to be bossy. I think it was in the job description. Maybe it was a good survival skill, the bossy thing. I remember watching her. She could have ruled the world. Our family is large, I am talking enormous or at least it was. She could organize us, have us working on several projects with the end resulting something a top company could only dream of replicating. I would listen to her give nursing advise to our family and they would do exactly what she would say. I mean without question and without pause. I was enthralled with this power that she held over others. She seemed to be able to do everything and never run out of energy. Heal the sick, feed the hungry, clean and organize the masses as well as make a small army do her bidding. I knew that I wanted to obtain her super powers. I would often wonder where she would hide her cape.
So, I became a Nurse. My Aunt Chip sent me my first Blood Pressure cuff, Stereoscope and Merrick Manual (medical reference book). I still use that Merrick Manual today. I will never be the person my Aunt Chip was. She was one in a million. She didn't have a fancy education or even a fancy life but she was one of the most amazing person I have ever known. She inspired me as child and as an adult. I will never be half the person she was. I think God only gives us people like her once a century or so. It was an honor to have had known her. I was blessed to have been her niece.
There was not a day that went by that I didn't think of her. I would tell stories about her to my friends and colleagues from time to time. Most loved my Aunt Chip stories. All loved Aunt Chip. I will miss her. Yet, I will keep her memory in my heart and some day I will see her in paradise. I hope that she is with her Husband, Uncle Ray, and all those of our family that have passed onto the other side. I hope they are having a Sunday dinner and sitting around the table. Just lingering a little longer over an awesome dinner, talking and being together once again, they are young and beautiful. I hope they pause and look to us past the veil and smile towards us. Not to long, then go back to the joy that is heaven. Yes, that is my hope for her and all of my family that is there with her. Peace be to you my dear Aunt Chip, Peace be to you.
Teri,
ReplyDeleteDitto on what an amazing person your Aunt Chip was. She was and always will be one of my favorite cousins. She was like a sister to my Dad and his brothers, since they had no sister of their own. I am sure Bob and George William and your Grandma Betty and Grandpa George and my Grandpa Dale & Grandma Mae and my Dad and Uncle Dick are all welcoming her to that big Perry potluck in the sky. Unfortunately, I am on-call on Saturday and will miss the funeral as well, but like you, I will be there in spirit.
Love,
Crystal Perry
Crystal
ReplyDeleteI hope so too. Someday we will be at that potluck as well. I sure miss them all. I am working on Friday and there is no way I can make it all the way to ILL by Saturday. My heart breaks for all of you and us. Big hug and kisses