A few years ago it was time for my Daughter to leave home and attend University. I was sad and happy at the same time. All my insane Mothering had come to fruition. She was accepted to the University of her choice and had a scholarship. Praise the Heavens My Daughter was going to college. My Mother had helped me save for her college and my current Husband and I had saved and saved. We were ready. She was ready. She was going to start her freshman year as a Sophomore. Everyone was beyond thrilled.
Anyway, the day came for me to drive her far far away. Now, my Daughter is creepy smart. Not just normal smart, but she makes you feel uncomfortable she is so smart. She speaks Chinese. She was the only blonde taking Chinese in her high school. She read at three and knew the value of X at five. I stopped being able to help her with her homework, when she was eight. There have been a few (OK, there are a lot) of people in my life that can think past me. My Daughter and my current Husband are one of those few, both of these peeps are my most favorite people to exchange ideas with and have lengthy conversations about anything with. They actually have read more than one book in their lives and have a vocabulary of more than 100 words. Refreshing to say the least.
Anyway, Just for some back story and a little explanation, after I was married for the second time, the topic of religion came up and all the sudden there was this shift in how we worshiped God in our house. Since the how to worship God was never important to me, I went with the flow. I have always taken the book of Ruth very seriously, so like whatever, convert on. We found ourselves Mormons. I liked it and so did my Daughter. Just to be clear. I honestly do not think that God cares about were you worship him or how you worship him. I just think he likes that you do. I say, keep to the big ten (Ten Commandments) and your good. Love everyone like you love yourself and let no evil into your soul and home. Just my simple take on it. Then, what do I know? I am a woman, no Priesthood holder, no Prophet and nobody of any consequence in this world. We kinda changed that after my Daughter came out of the closet but that is for other blogs.
My Daughter received a scholarship to BYU of Idaho and that is where she went to University. Oh, I said that. Sorry. My BFF and I drove her there. One of the funnest rode trips of all time.
First thing that happened is that I had a brand new car. A very shiny sleek gold sedan that loved my lead foot. This car was all fancy with every bell and whistle. I had just received the new plates. I still was unsure as to how to actually use it. We stopped in Vegas to buy my Daughter a few electronics. We got out of the car at Best Buy, and locked the car. Ok, I thought we locked the car. It kept beeping at me. I thought I turned it off. I mean, It stopped beeping. However, I left it running, in a Vegas Best Buy parking lot. I know, so stupid. Apparently, you can leave your car locked and running. Good to know right?Apparently, my roots are not brown, they are blonde.
On the way out of Vegas, I was driving a sedate speed of about 90 miles an hour. Totally surprised and shock, I was stopped by a Policeman. Right before that, my BFF said, When I was taking my Son to School in Texas, I was pulled over for speeding. Five seconds later, I was pulled over for speeding. My Daughter, My BFF and I started laughing so hard that by the time the Policeman came to my window, he had this look on his face of utter bafflement. He asked what was going on. We could hardly get out why we were laughing so hard. Once he heard the story, he laughed along with us. We explained where we were going and he said that most of his stops were from speeding Mormons on their way to Utah or to Idaho. We all laughed harder. He ended up giving me the less of all tickets. He told me that my ticket could have cost almost $300.00 and up but it was $90.00. When I told my Husband, He just laughed. Apparently Mom's with lead feet are funny. To be honest I was afraid to tell my Husband I had received a ticket. I thought it would be one of those "I love Lucy" Moments. Apparently he just found my ticket amusing.
We get to BYU Idaho. We are unloading a boat load of stuff out of the car into my Daughters dorm room. She can't wait until we are gone. Putting groceries away, picking out which bathroom cabinet will be hers, putting her clothes away. Then one out of her four roommates gets there. Typical Mormon family of ten or so come tromping into the dorm room. I introduce myself and my BFF to the roommates Father. I am all smiles and so is my BFF. The Father of my Daughters roommate asks where we are from? I tell him that we are from LA? He screws up his face like he has smelled something bad. He tells me that they are from Orem. His wife comes into the room and he says in a tone that can only mean that we are rat shit. He says that his Daughters roommate is from LA. He says this to his Wife in a really loud voice. I think he wanted everyone in the Dorm building to hear that there were evil LA people in the building and to protect yourself from the influence of Satan. I can't help it. I wait until he goes into the bedroom, I look at my BFF and burst out laughing. It was kinda fun being the bad guy.
After a bit, we give hugs and kisses and I reluctantly leave my only Daughter to a new chapter in her life. Everything I had dreamed of for her was coming to fruition. I prayed that she would be happy and do her best. Unfortunately, college was not my Daughters dream. Her future is yet to be told. She has other dreams than college. Some people do. Life is like that. Not everyone can do the same thing. How boring would that be?
Anyway, on our way out of Idaho me and my BFF, stopped at a gas station. They have gas station attendants out in Idaho. I know right? How cool is that? This allowed me and my BFF to go into the gas station store. The Gas Station Clerks were so nice to us. They asked us what we were doing there? I said without thinking, that we meaning me and my BFF had dropped "our" Daughter" off at BYU Idaho. All the while waving my arm at my BFF and me. She is nodding and smiling the whole time. Holy Crap on a Stick!!!
I realize what I just said and did. I want to smack my forehead with my hand. I am deep in Mormon country Idaho. I am next to BYU. Now, this regular Mormon country and not the Fundamentalist area of the country or at least I don't think it is. Polygamy is not part of the modern LDS Church. In fact being a Polygamist can get you excommunicated really fast. Polygamy is part of the Fundamental Church and is outlawed in America. Anyway, I realized what I just said I and tried to unsay it but it was to late. The people at the gas station thought that me and my BFF were sister wives and that we were dropping off "our" daughter off at University. Oh Lord, I felt giggles start to sneak out of me like bubbles from a bubble machine. Leaving was my only alternative.
My BFF and I got back in the car. Took a minute or two and we and laughed our selves silly. We laughed for about three hundred miles. I would have never thought that I would have been mistaken for a polygamist. I was not wearing a pastel dress and my hair was not done up like June Cash. Nope, not ever, not once, not in a million years would I ever thought that I would have been mistaken for a Sister wife let alone with my BFF. Yet, that day I was. Well, for clerks at the gas station I was a Polygamist. Sigh.
It really was a fun trip. There were other little things that happened that could only happen to me. I think I am a magnet for the strange and bizarre. I know I am. However, would not trade it for anything. Just to much fun to get off the ride at this point.
No comments:
Post a Comment