Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Its the little things

So, I wanted to do something for my Husband on Easter.  When My Daughter lived with us, I kinda made Easter a bid deal at our house.  Then she moved out and Easter became a day to simply worship our Heavenly Father instead of bunnies, eggs and chocolate.  

I had sent her a basket to college then thought maybe she was to big for that sort of thing and stopped.  Last year, I had a pitiful bowl of jellybeans but it was so sad.  I didn't even put out any decorations.  Our house was devoid of all commercial Easter cheer except the lone bowl of jelly beans.  

This year I was feeling better.  I still didn't put out any bunny decorations but I decided to make my Husband something special for Easter.  I had bought a ton of candy at great peril to my personal safety (see previous post) and I placed it in one of his Grandma's yellow bowls.  I made a very large blue sparkly bow and crammed as much candy as I could in that very large 1950's bowl as I could.  Then I made a handmade sign with markers with little bunnies and butterflies.  Just like a little kid would.  I wanted him to have it early because he always works every Saturday and Sunday.  I took pictures of it and texted it to him.  The sign said. "The Easter Bunny Came Early for you Art, Love The Easter Bunny."  I know Lame.  

When he got home he was all smiles.  Just like he was seven.  He stood at the counter and looked at the bowl.  He looked at me.  He kissed me and said thank you.  He said I was his Teri Bunny.  He told me that is my new name now.  I think I like it.  He has not stopped eating candy.  

I know my Mother in Law and Sister in Law read this blog so what I am about to say is said with a grain of salt and a lot of love.  I have heard the stories of My Husbands Family from all of them and from my understanding it was not a happy family type upbringing.  He is always so surprised at any type of silly Holiday kindness and he expects nothing.    I always forget that he was raised the way he was.  It took him some time to tell me what happened to him and a few years to get most of the stories out.  His Grandmother told me most of it.  I believed her to be the best historian.  Lets just say there were few happy celebrations in his life unless his Grandma was part of it.  

I have always taken a non judgmental view and a hands off policy, when it comes to peoples families.  Even though I am now part of his family, I just feel that I really should not get involved to much.  I have  made a phone call or two but I regret it every time.  I just don't roll that way.  It seems so wrong  somehow.  

I love the book of Ruth.  How Ruth says...where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay.  Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried.  May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.  I read that to him on our wedding day at the Court House.  I meant it.  I converted to my Husbands faith and I accepted his family and all their foibles.  However, I love my Husband enough not to be a busy body.  My love is an accepting love.  The no matter what kind of love.  

My job as I see it...as the Teri Bunny is to make my Husband happy and give him silly happy holidays and love him no matter what.  This is what I can do.  It is the little things.  He told me that one day.  He said that the little things make him happy.  Like folding his underwear and ironing his shirts.  Heck, I can do that.  Little things are easy.  

So, I suppose that for some Easter baskets and candy can make up for a childhood of whatever badness that happened.  I guess it just has to happen in the little things. 
                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment