I was doing my thing today. Sundays seem to be my busy day. They always have. When my Husband I and I were active in Church they were more than busy, Sunday was Super Sunday. Now, Sunday is make it happen day.
My Husband works every weekend day and I have weekends off. I use my weekends as work days around the house days. I used to be much more productive than I am now but I do what I can and keep pushing myself to do more. I would love to be the dynamo I used to be but being better than what I was last weekend is always something to strive for. Right?
Today, was really interesting. I cleaned the refrigerator. That was really fun. Yes, for me cleaning and organizing a refrigerator is fun. I threw away almost everything in it and scrubbed the thing from inside out and top to bottom. I basically sanitized the thing and then polished it. It is now a sparkling effigy daring anyone to put a fingerprint on it. As if anyone in their right mind would ever be so stupid as to put their fingerprints on my fridge? They must have a death wish, if they do. I know I have some real issues. Heck, I like clean stuff. Things could always be worse. Just saying.
Then, I decided I was hungry. That never really happens anymore, so I ate some Lucky Charms in soy milk. I know that sounds really gross but it is good. You need to jump on this wagon. I only do it when I need to eat. How do I put this? All young women have a monthly cycle. Middle Age women have them sometimes. So, sometimes I have this weird desire to eat a lot of food and I am in a strange mood. Today is that day.
So, then I decided I need to get my car washed. I had tried calling this guy who usually comes to our house and washes our cars. He isn't the most reliable guy in the world. I ended up at the car wash. I take Pookie, our little white dog. My Husband is not thrilled that I am out in our neighborhood. Every time I go out these days something happens.
Guess what? Something happened. I need to get my floor mats washed and a sprinkler went all crazy and sprinkled on the side of my car. Note to self. Tell Husband to fix sprinkler on driveway. Anyway, I end up getting the car waxed and stuff. So, I am going to be there for about an hour. Yuk!!! I take Pookie and sit outside. I sit by myself on a bench as far away from anyone as I can get. Pookie is on my lap and I am reading my E-book.
This man comes up to me and sits down. There are plenty of places every where to sit. He begins to talk to me. He starts to talk to me about his divorce, his daughter and his dog. I try so hard to ignore him but my manners kick in and I put my book down and turn to him smiling and listening. I pet Pookie with my left hand letting the light hit my big fat diamond. I make sure the light hits it so it can sparkle in the sunlight across his face. The man, who is so very nice and so earnest, keeps talking. I smile and keep petting Pookie. I make little noises of comment. Making sure my face matches my noises of comment.
Finally, the man stops and I say, things like, my Husband and I. Then I say stuff like, If He would die I would never date and smile politely at him. He keeps going. I keep thinking maybe he just needs to talk. I am so very approachable, so round ,so soft, so middle aged. Maybe I am like talking to his sister or something. That has to be it. Right? What is it about me? Sigh.
The car dude yells at the man to come fetch his car. I am relieved. No awkward asking for phone numbers or anything. I wave. He waves. That is it. Thank God.
I guess I can't stay cooped up in our house forever and stuff just happens no matter what. At least I have blog fodder and maybe you guys are entertained from time to time. I just do wonder what is it about me? I really don't know.
Anyway, whatever it is, I just need to roll with and enjoy the ride. Why not?
I think the more you waved your wedding ring the safer the poor guy felt. It sounds to me like he is used to socializing with married people- they are safe, there are no demands or expectations, they are the group that he is used to being in and identifying with. He maybe hasn't quite figured out that he really doesn't belong there anymore. Divorce is a transition and a process that involves an enormous amount or change and it can be hugely overwhelming for some people. My guess is that he is probably very lonely as a relatively new single person and he hasn't quite figured out how to live happily as one and he still identifies himself more with married people than with single people. I have seen so many men remarry so quickly after they divorce it is almost like they can't function without being married to someone - anyone. My guess is he will be remarried very shortly, somehow. His issues did ruin your time with your book at the car wash. Sometimes you just have to set limits and shine people on even if it seems rude. He should not have imposed upon you like that. Taking an imaginary phone call and walking away usually works (years of single skills). Elaine.
ReplyDeleteOh...I would have never thought of that. The phone call thing. He was nice and harmless. I think. Since, I gained so much weight in the last four years, I am not used to men even looking at me. It was weird. I had forgotten that just loosing thirty pounds wold make a difference. who knew.
ReplyDelete