Thursday, April 23, 2015

What is it about the you speak no Spanish you get no job thing?

Something has been on my mind lately.  Actually, I have really pissed off about it.  Let me say that it just gets my panties in a twist.  

I want to get a clinic job.  After the brain tumor, I thought or think it might be prudent to slow down some.  I start to look on the job list at work and bid for jobs in the clinic.  

All of them are listed as Bilingual preferred.  OK, I speak some Spanish.  Actually I speak awesome medical Spanish.  However, at my job you have to take a test and be certified to be able to speak any Spanish at all.  In fact, you can be terminated for speaking any Spanish to any patient, if you are not certified. Not even directionals, like move here or sit down.  Things like that.  

I am a terrible conversational Spanish speaker.  I am unable to speak to you about the weather or books.  I can only speak medial Spanish for the specialty for which I am involved with and I learn as I go.  My grammar is horrible.  I do the best I can.  I am sure with practice and some immersion, I would be fluent.  However, I am not allowed this opportunity.  

Anyway, I have some seniority with my position after almost 15 years at this current Hospital, but clinic jobs are highly prized and sought after.  Now, any RN who speaks Spanish is able to bid over anyone with seniority to win the position.  As a highly skilled OR Nurse with an in-depth background in Labor and Delivery my skills are "tight" but because I do not speak Spanish, I am bid out of job after job.  

I called Nurse Recruitment and asked what I needed to do.  She told me to learn Spanish and become fluent or I would never get a job other than something with technical skills.  I argued with her that the clinic needs RN's who have critical thinking skills and technical skills as well as excellent communication skills in the language of America which is English.  Just because someone speaks Spanish is no reason to hire them over someone who is more qualified and someone who has more seniority.  I said that is basically another form of racism.  She did not say anything to my remark.  What can you say.  I am right.  


She didn't actually say this but this was my take away.  To friggin bad, this is what the company wants and this is what we are going to do and we don't care what the right thing is in the long run this is what works right now.  I was highly frustrated.  

So, in order for me to obtain a clinic job with the company I work for, I need to become fluent in Spanish.  I did call my Union Representative, she was no help. I did not expect her to be.  I had worked with her for four years, when I was an Officer.  Some things are always a constant like Unions.  I guess I get to learn Spanish, If I really want that clinic job. Begins to grumble and mutter to herself.  

So, here I sit, looking for ways to learn Spanish without actually having to attend a class or spending to much money.  You know, I am going to learn Spanish and become an awesome sauce Spanish speaker.  I think what I am going to do is just have my friends at work speak Spanish to me and have me answer them until I just get it right.  Practice, Practice, Practice.  Anyway, it is a start.  

I don't understand not learning the language of the country that you have immigrated to.  I really don't.  I don't understand a country not insisting on it's people having a common language and written word.  We all come from other places and we all had to learn and assimilate.  Why?  Because we wanted to be here and we gave up stuff so we could be free.  We came here to become Americans for opportunities and a chance that our first countries did not give us.  

It is what it is for now.  However, I do not think insisting Americans learn another language to obtain employment is even on the scale of right or slightly fair.  Your basically forcing those English only people to learn Spanish or move away to English speaking areas.  Then you have segregated neighborhoods again and we start all over again with more racism in another form.  

I think the right answer is to have a common written and spoken language.  Maybe we should vote on it as a country.  I would say English since that is what we have been speaking since the pilgrim days but we probably should vote.  
Then whatever the vote decides give so many years to make is so, and that is it, we speak and write in whatever language that we voted in.  

Another thing, the most qualified person should get the job or even the most senior.  Sometimes the most senior person shouldn't get the job because they truly suck.    Not the one who can speak a certain language or what color they are.  I think it is time we take a stand and do the right thing.  

I know that when I go to the Doctors office, I have this LVN (Licensed Vocation Nurse.  They attend a program for 8 months and can work in a clinic or on a medical or surgical floor in a hospital under the direction or supervision of an RN or a Physician.  They cannot assess a patient, teach or work independently. They hold no degree.  They only hold a certificate and have a limited license) He can hardly speak English.  He attempts to give me instructions and I make him repeat and repeat and I correct his grammar until he can give me instructions that I can understand.  I know, I can be mean.  I think he hates me.  I probably am going to hell for this behavior.  I just can't help myself.  I tell myself don't do it....your being bad.  Then I do it every time because he pisses me off every time.  

He needs to be able to give me proper instructions in my first language and he needs to speak it correctly just like he does to his Spanish speaking patients.   If he says he is bilingual than he needs to be bilingual.  Besides, I know what he going to tell me anyway, I really don't need the instructions but it is fun to make him work for it.  He does not know I am an RN.  I am just making a point.  

So, I suppose it is the way of things in California and probably not like this in most of the country.  I need to either learn Spanish and just go with it or leave California.  Because if I don't, I am not going to not have a job.  I need to work because I need to eat and I need a place to live.  So, learning Spanish it is.  Sigh.  

What do you think?  Is it right to hire people who speak Spanish over qualifications or seniority?  




2 comments:

  1. You would die of boredom in a clinic job in about 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you being passed over for an equally qualified and equally senior RN who does speak Spanish or are they picking less qualified, less senior, and less experienced RN's who do speak Spanish? If they are putting less qualified people in the clinics because the speak Spanish that is a disservice to everyone. Elaine

    ReplyDelete